Image Map
place holder

Jul 7, 2014

How my southern granny keeps her gardening records



If you're anything like my granny, you're a record keeping junkie. She keeps notes on everything (I really mean everything) from her blood pressure readings to which medications she has taken and at what time.  Her medium of choice?  Those wall calendars with the days divided up into squares.  She used to get them from my papa's company (he was an insurance salesman back when they actually went door to door) and after that she just used whichever ones she could find for cheap at the dollar store or elsewhere.  People know she's a bit of an addict so she gets a slew of them at the start of the year from anyone and everyone (including her doctors, church friends and the postal carrier). 

One of the most prominent calendars is the one right beside the front door.  It records anything and everything to do with her garden.  My granny has had a garden for as long as I can remember.  I truly think that's what allows her to survive on an extremely limited fixed income.  It's such a part of her daily routine it's not even given much thought.  A firm believer in the early to bed, early to rise philosophy, she is up before the dawn most days and after breakfast she'll go out on the porch and check the rain gauge so see if any rain occurred overnight.  That measurement, if any, gets noted in the little box on the calendar by her door.  After that she'll go out and hoe her garden (she's a master with her hoe I tell you, I've never seen one wielded with such one-handed precision) and do any weeding (she uses her hoe to chop up and bury any weeds) or harvesting that's required.  This calendar also keeps track of what's planted and when.  If watering is needed (as indicated by the amount of rain in the rain gauge) the garden will get water in the evenings.  It seems like such an obvious sort of thing this keeping track of your gardening habits, but I would never have thought of it.  Being the girlie girl that I am, I'd have thought I needed some sort of fancy  garden log or a journal of some kind in which I record all the detailed goings on in my award winning (sarcasm here) veggie plot (that doesn't mean I don't still want one) - but nope, being the frugal southern lady that she is, granny just does the sensible thing and goes with a conveniently placed wall calendar hung by the door.  She even strings a pen up on some twine and hangs that from the same nail as the calendar.  One smart cookie if you ask me!

So how about you gardeners out there, how do you keep track of all the vital information needed for your gardens?  I'd love to hear your tips n tricks.


this post has been shared at one (or all) of these wonderful blog hops!

7 comments:

  1. This was such a fun post! I am a keen gardener but battle to keep records...:) I've heard of a few online gardening planners but I make charts on the computer and print them out to be used each month... Thank you for sharing:). Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly, thanks for stopping by! Printed charts sound like a really convenient thing to me. My problem with anything like that is I tend to get caught up with trying to make them look pretty and that takes up WAY too much time lol. Again, thanks for stopping by and chatting!

      Delete
  2. Love this post. I think your grandmother is very cool. I don't keep a pen hanging near my calendar, but I've kept records of everything from what I planted to doctor appts. to chicks hatching in the same type of calendars you described here. And the bigger the squares for each day, the better, lol. I have a huge stack of the out-of-date calendars in a closet and get them out sometimes if I need to recall when a certain thing happened. Does your grandmother keep hers from year to year? Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by again! I think my granny is one smart lady and although I'm not certain, I'm pretty sure she has calendar/records going back to the Carter administration (if not further) lol She keeps everything because you just never know when you might need it again. Again, thanks for taking the time to visit and leave me your thoughts. Hope your day is lovely as well.

      Delete
  3. I love your grannie already! My husband's grandmother did many records on her wall calendar too... After she passed, they were a treasure to go through since she recorded so many tiny details of our family life, it was amazing.

    Thank you for linking up with the Art of Home-Making Mondays! Please join us again next week :)

    We share a gardening printable in case you are interested (link below) on our blog:

    http://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com/p/she-planteth-inspirational-gardening.html

    Take care, JES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JES, thanks again for stopping by for a visit! I'll certainly be checking out your printable as I'm always looking for helpful items to aid us in our homestead preparations. Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  4. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. Grupo Fertica

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and reading comments is one of my favorite things so please feel free to comment, share or just say "hi" but please remember to be courteous to others while doing so. Thanks!